Thursday, April 21, 2016

Biology Article of the Week

Mark Grove
April 22, 2016
This week, I found an article about moving on from fossil fuels. Professor Benjamin Sovacool, Director of the Sussex Energy Group at the University of Sussex, believes that the next great energy revolution could take place in a fraction of the time of major changes in the past. He wants to make this change in less than 10 years where it could have taken over a century in the past. To do this, he needs help from governments around the world.

I was interested by this article because I think that it is something we really need to do. I look forward to seeing changes in the immediate future. Hopefully, the next generation(s) will be positively affected by these changes.

One quote I found was this: "Left to evolve by itself -- as it has largely been in the past -- this can indeed take many decades." Apparently, this person has plans to facilitate his efforts in changing this. Another one is this: "Moving to a new, cleaner energy system would require significant shifts in technology, political regulations, tariffs and pricing regimes, and the behaviour of users and adopters."

What I wonder is which type of energy we would switch to, as it is not specifically listed in the article.

3 comments:

  1. This article is interesting, and I wonder what people would use instead of fossil fuels, such as what would replace it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we ran out of fossil fuels what would we use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really interesting! Major scientific discoveries seem to happen every day now. I wish the article was more specific. I wonder what other alternatives for fossil fuels (besides electricity) that could be better for the environment?

    ReplyDelete